Amy Green recently traveled to Hawaii where she tasted this delicious cake from Kalaheo Coffee Co. Now you can enjoy a little taste of Hawaii in your own home! Amy declares this one of the best cakes she's ever had!
What You Need:
1 box of Duncan Hines lemon cake mix
12 oz Philly cream cheese, soft
16 oz heavy whipping cream
1 cup of sugar
1 lemon, finely zested and juiced
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Follow directions on the cake mix for a 9 or 10 inch cake.
- Blend cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in 1/2 cup of the sugar and zest of the lemon.
- Remove mixture from bowl and chill slightly.
- Clean bowl and whip cream on high until soft peaks form.
- Add remaining sugar and vanilla to the cream and whip until very firm peaks.
- Fold half of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture.
- Fold in the balance of the whipped cream and add lemon juice to taste. Be careful not to get the mixture too soft.
- Place into refrigerator to cool and set up.
- Once cake is cooled, ice the cake, add lemon zest on top of the cake for decoration, and enjoy!
9823 Carroll Canyon Rd #K
San Diego, CA 92131
Nestled in a small shopping center on the edge of Scripps Ranch, Todo's Sushi is one of the area's best kept secrets! A true hole-in-the-wall sushi joint, Todo's is a local favorite that turns out consistently delicious sushi.
Open for both lunch and dinner, Todo's is known for their amazing rolls! We recommend bringing a few friends so you can sample several different rolls. Our favorites are the Shrimp Tempura Crunch Roll, Spider Roll, Langostino Crunch Roll, Star Wars Roll, Sensual Pleasure Roll, and Sweet Hawaiian Roll. If you sit at the bar, you'll get the opportunity to sample even more delicious food as the chefs will make sure your plate is never empty!
Todo's also serves Japanese favorites like gyoza, yakitori, teriyaki, miso soup, and udon. For dessert, try the green tea tempura ice cream - you won't be disappointed.
One of the best things about Todo's Sushi (besides the awesome food) is the discounts. Many of the rolls come with dine-in discounts of 50% off. And if you're picking up takeout, a 40% discount still applies to many of the rolls! Not only does Todo's have some of the best sushi in the Scripps Ranch area, it's also affordable!
What You Need:
2 (12-oz.) pkg. fresh green beans
3/4 teaspoon table salt, divided
1 pound petite red potatoes
1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1. Cook green beans and 1/2 teaspoon salt in boiling water to cover in a large saucepan until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop cooking process; drain and pat dry with paper towels.
2. Bring potatoes and cold water to cover to a boil in large saucepan over medium-high; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until just tender, about 20 minutes total. Drain and let cool 30 minutes. Slice potatoes into 1/4- to 1/2-inch rounds.
3. Gently toss together green beans, potatoes, bell pepper, red onions, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add Lemon-Soy Vinaigrette, and gently toss to combine. Transfer mixture to a serving platter, and top with mint, almonds, and sesame seeds. Serve room temperature or chilled.