There are numerous benefits to being an active member of your community. People who integrate themselves into the local community feel more connected to where they live, make a difference in someone else’s life, meet like-minded people, learn new skills, and most of all, have fun! Here are some ideas to get involved with your local community, whether you are new to the neighborhood or not!
Shopping local benefits the local economy, creates local jobs, helps the environment, and is a great way to support your neighbors. Many areas of San Diego offer weekly Farmer’s Markets.
Volunteer Your Time
Learn about local charities and non-profit organizations and the types of volunteer opportunities that are available. Serve.gov, Volunteer Match, and Idealist are websites that can help you find organizations in need of volunteers. Some go-good ideas include:
- Supplying food to your city’s food bank
- Donating books to your local library
- Dropping off cleaning supplies, bedding, and pet food to an animal shelter
- Donating your old clothes to Good Will and The Salvation Army
- Protecting your favorite San Diego beach by participating in a local beach clean-up
Get Involved With a Place of Worship
Being part of a religious organization is a great way to get to know those in your community.
Attend Community Events
Go to concerts, events, and fundraisers that are put on by organizations or local businesses. MeetUp.com is a great place to find out about community events!
Join a Local Organization
Whether you are new to your community or not, joining a local organization is a great way to meet new people. Here are a few ideas of groups you could join:
- Participate in a club that interests you such as a book or writing club
- Further your education at a community college by taking a class or two
- Take cooking lessons at a local restaurant or store
- Join an adult sports league such as soccer, softball, or tennis
Support Local Sports Teams
Support high school, college, and professional sports teams that surround you.
No matter how you choose to get involved becoming part of your community will make your home feel like more than just an address!