What You Need:
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ c. milk (whole, low-fat or skim)
- ½ c. pumpkin puree
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 12 slices Texas toast, french bread, challah, croissant halves
- Whipped pumpkin butter:
- ½ c. (1 stick), salted or unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅓ c. pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Set a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat, add a small amount of butter and melt.
- In a rectangular baking dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
- Dip the bread into the mixture, flip sides and then place on the hot skillet. Cook until each side is golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining ingredients, serve hot with whipped pumpkin butter, maple syrup and toasted chopped nuts (if desired).
- To make the pumpkin butter, in a small mixing bowl, add the softened butter and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the pumpkin puree, maple syrup or honey, vanilla, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Beat for an additional minute or until fluffy. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.